Tarts and pies are some of the most delicious and comforting foods; however, they can be loaded with calories and saturated fat from meats, sauces and oodles of butter in the pastry. My skinny version is the exact opposite. The basis for this tart is filo pasrty (shop bought) which has such little fat when compared to puff pastry or even short crust. The filling for the tart are ripe, plump, vine tomatoes along with some low fat mozzerella. The ball of low fat mozzerella again gives a much lower fat content than traditional or even worse, processed grated mozzerella. The pesto is my own skinny pesto recipe which can be found here on the blog. This pesto is uber healthy as it only uses 1 tbsp olive oil/rapeseed oil for the entire jar. In addition to this pisctachio's are used instead of pine nuts as they have a lower calorific content and are higher in fibre.A little hard cheese such as parmesan goes along way on top too. This dish is perfect for a light lunch or starter or even better a summer picnic. Also, it taste just as good cold as warm and even better the next day.
As a little tip - defrost the filo pastry in the fridge not out at room temperature. If defrosted at room temperature it goes very flaky and breaks very easily. Feel free to drizzle a little balsamic glaze over the top when serving.
2 large sheets filo pastry
4/5 large tomatoes
1 ball low fat mozzerella
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar/glaze
30g grated parmesan
4/6 heaped tbsp skinny basil pesto
I honestly cannot express how sensational this really is !! Be warned.
1 whole fresh basil plant (enough to fill a mug & half)
1 tbsp olive/rapeseed oil
2 tbsp cold water
40g grated parmesan
30g shelled pistachio nuts
1/4 tsp salt & pepper
2 cloves of garlic (roughly diced)
Just one step here - Blitz in a food processor and try not to devour it all immediately !!!!!
- Preheat the oven to 200oC.
- Spritz a 7" loose bottom metal flan/tart tin with spray oil.
- Layer in the filo pastry - if it rips/tears don't panic - just patch it in and give a little spritz of spray oil to hold down the layers. Pop in the oven for 10 mins (or until you get everything ready)
- Cut the tomatoes into long slices (remove any green core pieces)
- Coat in a little balsamic and allow to sit for a few mins.
- Cut the mozzerella into long slices.
- Remove the pastry base from the oven.
- Spread the pesto on the base.
- Starting from the middle layer the tomatoes down in a circular shape.
- Place the slices of mozzerella in between the tomatoes.
- Crack a very small amt (1/4 tsp) black pepper over the top.
- Turn the oven down to 180oC. Bake in the oven for 40mins.Ten minutes before the end - remove from the oven & sprinkle over the grated parmesan.
- Allow to cool a little and serve with a drizzle of skinny pesto. Enjoy.