This chocolate mousse is the perfect seductive dessert - gorgeous, creamy, smooth, dark, rich & chocolatey. The good news is it is so quick to prepare, tastes amazing - way better than any of the processed ones and is minus all the calories & saturated fat. For this recipe I use Normandy 0% fat fromage frais. This exact product can be bought in Tesco. Please don't try and use low fat yogurt or natural yogurt. I have tried both without any sucess. The only other alternative I can think of is the Weight Watcher cream or Avonmore do a light cream (this is not ideal if trying to lose weight as it is still high in calories, but way better than regular cream). Presumably half fat creme fraiche might work too.
Serve these in champagne flutes or martini glasses for some extra seductive impact.
125g 70% cocoa solids chocolate (buy the best you can afford - it makes a huge difference) I love Lindt or Black n Greens
140g Normandy 0 % fat fromage frais
1 tsp honey
1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 sachet (4g) gelatine
20mls boiling water
Optional: 2 tbsp cointreau (orange liqueur)
- Prepare everything in advance. Boil the kettle. Stir the honey and brown sugar into the fromage frais.
- Pour some boiling water into a small saucepan. Sit a heat resistant bowl on top to create a bain marie. Pop the chocolate in and allow to simmer as the chocolate melts.
- Seperate both eggs individually. Whisk the 2 egg whites on high speed until they form stiff peaks. (turn the bowl upside down and they shouldn't move)
- When the chocolate has colled a little ( about 2 mins) using a spatula stir in 1 egg yolk. Discard the other. Stir in the cointreau if using.
- Pour 20mls of boiling water in a small bowl/ramekin. Sprinkle over the gelatine and stir briskly until the powder has dissolved.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture.
- Stir in the froamge frais.
- Drizzle and quckly stir in the gelatine.
- Pour into glasses, clean down the edges.
- Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 4 / 5 hours.
- Enjoy . x