Biscotti is a traditional Italian treat. This is a treat so be warned before you make these mouthfuls of yum you will want to over indulge. However in saying that one is enough and deeply satisfying. This recipe had been modified to make them a little better for you and your waistline. The recipe calls for only 1 egg and 1 egg white and as per the traditional recipe they do not contain any fat. Be warned there is white flour,sugar, chocolate & cocoa.
Baking is not quite my forte. I appreciate that is an exact science and I'm much more of a "splash of this, dash of that" kinda girl so for this recipe I'm going to give the measurements in grams but also using a regular sized mug. That way you don't even need a scales or any fancy pieces of kit.
Makes 10 large (20 small)
100g (3/4 mug) self raising flour
75g(1/2 mug) whole hazelnuts
1 bag chocolate chips
2 tbsp cocoa
1 tsp coffee powder
75g (1/2 mug) unrefined sugar (or castor)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 whole egg
1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract / 1/2 vanilla pod
- Preheat the oven to 150oC.
- Pop the hazelnuts on an oven tray. Roast for 5 - 10mins.
- Separate the egg, weigh out the ingredients.
- Remove from the oven and rub them roughly in a tea towel to remove as much of the skin as possible. (Don't get obsessive about this).
- Pop them in a freezer bag with half the chocolate chips and crush with a large heavy object. (rolling pin/wine bottle/saucepan)
- In a bowl combine the flour, salt, baking soda, cocoa, remaining chocolate chips and the crushed hazelnuts and chocolate chips.
- In a separate bowl, using a fork whisk together the whole egg, egg white, vanilla and sugar. (if you do have an electric beater use that for a minute or two.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together.
- Spritz an oven tray with spray oil. Spoon the biscotti mixture out in a long log shape - about 2 inches wide and 12 inches wide. It will spread out alot in the oven that is why it is important to have it high, long and skinny going in to the oven.
- Bake for 15mins.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tray for 10 mins. Turn the oven down to 150oC.
- Transfer to a board or the counter and using a serrated knife cut them into 3 cm wide pieces.
- Place the long biscotti pieces back on the oven tray with one of the cut sides facing up.
- Bake again for 15 - 20mins until they are dried out.
- Cool and then store in an air tight tin.
- Enjoy with a Skinny hazelnut Mocha.