Ok, I am very excited about this recipe. I have been trying to create something like this for awhile but I couldn't get that creamy texture and for it to bake correctly. Until NOW !!! I discovered QUARK. Quark is an extremely low fat cream cheese. Very similiar to extra light Philadelphia, a slight tang but a little more texture. The great news is - it is lower in calories and saturated fat than extra light philadelphia.
I have honestly had my eye for out for this product for a long time and just discovered it in Dunnes Stores.
If your supermarket does not have it - ask them. Ask them to stock it and in most cases they will do so!!!
Now for the recipe and all the delicious low fat great bits. The filo pastry is ultra low fat. The quark is the lowest fat creamy product I have yet found. The salmon is full of esseantial fatty acids which are so good for you and the spinach is one of your five a day and a source of non haem iron. The salad is full of fresh vitamins and minerals.
Seriously you have got to try this. It is sensational if I do say so myself and I even had a sneaky glass of chilled sancerre with it. Delicious.
4 sheets filo pastry
2 salmon fillets (approx 250g)
250g carton quark
1 bag baby spinach
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 fish stock cube
4 tbsp parmesan
salt & pepper
zest 1/2 lemon
Rocket & Spinach leaves
1/2 red onion
1tsp basil pesto
1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 180OC/gas7.
- Grate the garlic, lemon zest and parmesan.
- Remove the skin from the skin and cut each fillet into about 6 pieces.
- Using a spring form metal tin layer in the four sheets into the tin, spritzing each layer with a little spray oil. Pop in the oven for 4/5 mins (just to crisp a little)
- In a non stick pan - spritz a little spray oil in. Add the spinach and garlic and allow to wilt down. If it starts to stick add in a little drop of water.
- Remove from the pan and pat out any excess water with kitchen towel.
- Poach the pieces of salmon in a little wine or water for 3/4 mins.
- In a large bowl mix together the egg,quark, lemon zest, dijon mustard, spinach, seasoning and crumble in the fish stock.
- Stir in the salmon pieces, taking care not to break them up.
- Pour the creamy mixture into the pastry case. Smooth out and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake in the oven for 25 - 30mins.
- While the tart is in the oven assemble the salad. Slice the red onion, quarter the cherry tomatoes and toss together the leaves with the basil pesto.
- Serve and enjoy.