This Japanese inspired dish is so quick and simple. The salmon is full of the essential GOOD fatty acids - Omega 3, easily digested proteins and minerals like selenium, zinc, phosphorus, calcium and iron. Selenium is an interesting one as salmon is one of its best sources. It is necessary for building up of tissues, hair, nails etc. When combined with the other elements in salmon ( Omega 3, Vitamin A & D ) it is linked with regulating metabolisms, can act as an anti depressant and increase the efficiency of the brain. All the brightly coloured vegetables contribute to a healthy immune system for these winter months and as this dish is rapidly stirfried alot of the valuable anti - oxidants are retained. The Tilda wholegrain basmati rice is rich in B group vitamins, provides fibre and a little will keep you feeling full until bed time. This recipe calls for cooked rice - I normally cook a large pot and then freeze in batches. Seriously handy and saves so much time. Teriyaki can be bought in all supermarkets nowadays.
4/6 tbsp teriyaki marinade
1/2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1/2 tbsp seasame oil
2 120g organic salmon fillets
120g cooked brown rice
2 cloves garlic
1/2 red, green & yellow pepper
1 red onion
2 large handfuls of spinach
Handful of onion seeds
- Marinade the salmon fillets in the teriyaki sauce. In an ideal world this would be done the night before or a few hours in advance. 15 mins will be fine.
- Prepare all the vegetables by washing first. Using a vegetable peeler prepare the carrot and courgette into ribbons.
- Peel the onion and cut into semi circles. Deseed the peppers and thinly slice.
- Preheat the grill. Remove the salmon from the marinade and place on a tray under the grill. Drizzle a little teriyaki over the salmon and turn after 5 mins.
- Heat the wok - when hot add in the oil. Stirfry the onion and garlic, add in the peppers. Cook for 5 mins. Then add in the ribbons of carrot and courgette. After another 5 mins add in the wholegrain basmati rice. Pour over the remaining teriyaki marinade. Cook for another 3 mins.
- At this stage the salmon will have been turned and be skin side up. Turn off the grill. Turn off the stirfry vegetables and rice. Stir in the spinach.
- On a warm plate spoon the stirfry rice and vegetables. Place the salmon on top and sprinkle with some onion seeds.