This is a beautiful soup that will warm you right up after a long day or perfect as an energy boost mid way through your busy day. It is so simple to pull together and well worth the little effort required. Beetroot is in season at the moment so it is in all the shops and is cheap to boot. It is a Superfood because it is packed full of the antioxidant Betacyanin which fights against various cancers and is fantastic for your immune system which is important at this time of year when it is easy to feel so run down. Beetroot is loaded with vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and C. Beetroots are naturally high in Sodium so you won't need to add any salt in this recipe.You can buy it raw from supermarkets, in which case you will need to wash it, remove the stalks and then boil or microwave in some water for 10 minutes. I bought cooked whole beetroot in a vacuum pack which works perfectly in this recipe and is so much easier! A bowl of this soup averages out at just 135Kcal so it is the perfect winter warmer to leave you feeling full and satisfied.
1 x 400g pack of cooked Beetroot
2 Medium Carrots
3 Stalks of Celery
3 Medium Potatoes
3 Tsp Mixed Herbs
1 Bay Leaf
1 Bouquet Garni ( can be bought in tea leaf form in all supermarkets)
700ml Chicken or Vegetable Stock
2 Tbsp Creme Fraiche
1 Tsp Pepper
2 Tsp Olive Oil
1 Glass of Water
1. To begin wash and chop all of the vegetables. Try to keep the potatoes, celery, beetroot and carrots a similar size so that they will all cook at the same pace.
2. Heat the oil in a large sauce over a medium heat. Add the onions, carrot and celery and cook for 5 minutes until they have softened.
3. Add the beetroot, potatoes, pepper, mixed herbs, stock and cold water. Bring this to the boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer for one hour. Add the bouquet garni and bay leaf at this stage.
4. To blend together pour the soup into a blender or food processor until smooth. If the soup is too thick at this point simple add some boiling water until you reach the consistency you desire.
5. To serve garnish with fresh parsley and creme fraiche.