This is a delicious easy recipe that is super quick to russle up. It can be prepared in under 10 minutes, and while cooking gives you time to relax with a cheeky glass of vino or catch up on any thing you need to. I have served it with roasted vegetables but it will go with most accompaniments, such as cous cous, green salad etc. It can be prepared in advance and refrigerated which makes it ideal when you have friends coming over. The filling is light but full of flavour and the breadcrumbs are made using wholemeal breadcrumbs which need no butter keeping the calorie count down. I add dried herbs to breadcrumbs which add extra flavour and cuts out the need for salt. I sometimes add thin strips of chorizo to the stuffing which does add to the calorie content, but a few thin strips won't make a huge difference and really adds to the flavour!
2 Chicken fillets
4 Sun-dried Tomatoes
2 Tbsp of SkinnyLoves Pesto ( see May recipe )
100g Brown Bread Breadcrumbs
5 Slices of Light Mozzarella
4 Thin strips of Chorizo
1. Slice the chicken fillets through the middle, being careful not to slice through all the way, and open out as flat as possible.
2. Spread the pesto down the middle of each fillet. On top of this add the sliced sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella, and chorizo.
3. Fold the chicken fillets over . In order to keep the filling in place you will need to secure the sides by using cocktail sticks to keep everything in place.
4. Put the flour into a bowl and add 1 tbsp of dried herbs. Crack 1 egg onto a plate and break up with a fork.
5. Put the breadcrumbs on a plate and add another dash of dried herbs and mix.
6. Roll the the chicken fillets in the flour and shake off any excess. Then dip the chicken directly in the egg. The chicken should then be rolled in the breadcrumbs and placed in a baking tray.
7. Bake the chicken for 35-40 minutes until cooked through in a moderate oven, at 180C.