Ok so I'm in the door, I'm starving, its Thursday and the fridge is getting a little on the empty side - what happens with this dinner situation? An omelette is a seriously good solution to my dilemma. This omelette can take on many forms however I'm going to stick to the classic combo of ham, cheese, tomato, onion and mushroom (or in other words what remains in the fridge)
The basic principle of a Skinny Omelette is using as little fat as possible. The key here is 1 whole egg and 1 egg white. ( if your very hungry go 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites)
I have tried the much talked about American " egg white omelette". I'm sorry it just doesn't do it for me. The whole concept of Skinny Loves Food is to have tasty, filling foods which we enjoy eating so that is why I'm using one whole egg.
Try where possible to get at least free range eggs and at best the free range organic eggs.
The other ways in which this omelette remains Skinny is by using low fat cheddar, wafos/be light ham, skimmed milk and frying in a non stick pan using spray oil.
1 whole egg
1 egg white
20mls (dash) skimmed milk
2 spring onions
2 cherry tomatoes
25g grated low fat cheddar
1 slice low fat ham / 6 pieces wafos ham / low fat rashers
10 button mushrooms
Fresh chives (if you have them)
Salt & pepper
- Prepare all the ingredients. Wipe and thinly slice the button mushrooms. Cut the cherry tomatoes into half, quarters and eights. Finely slice the spring onion. Cut the ham into small cubes. Grate the cheese.
- Heat up the non stick pan. Turn on the grill to get warm.
- Spritz 2 sprays of spray oil on the pan and saute (fry) the mushrooms.
- While they are cooking put the egg and seperated egg white into a bowl. Season with salt & pepper, add the milk and lightly whisk with a fork. Add chopped chives if using.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan and allow to cool for 1 mins. Wipe out the pan with a piece of kitchen paper.
- Stir half the cheese into the egg mixture along with the ham, spring onion and tomato.
- Spritz the pan again with spray oil. Pour in the egg mixture. Allow to cook for about 2 mins then transfer under the grill. As it goes under the grill sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Grill for about 3/4 mins.
- Loosen the omelette around the edges with a spatula and and allow to slide onto a plate. Garnish with some chopped chives.