I do not proclaim that these fajitas are by any means a direct translation from traditional Mexican hertiage however what I do promise is they make a seriously tasty, quick, low fat, healthy week day meal.
A basic fajita has a meat (either strips or mince) or just vegetables marinated in a smoky, mild sauce. This mix is filled into wraps with guacamole, sour cream and salsa. This Skinny Loves Food recipe has some serious changes to make this an appropriate meal
Ok first up the meat - I like to include meat as a source of protein. My preference is to stay away from beef or lamb mince and choose turkey mince, quorn mice for the vegetarians or chicken breast strips.
The convenience cheat I use to speed up this meal is that famous yellow packet that adorns our supermarket shelves - Old El Paso Fajita seasoning. But this is where the convenience stops.
I beg of you please never, ever buy the squeezy bottles of guacamole or sour cream. Terrible, awful stuff.
These fajitas allow you to be as virtous as you wish. There is great scope to build them up with lots of vegetables and little meat. Some great vegetables to add include - onion/spring onion , peppers, mushrooms, courgettes and grated carrot.
In addition to this the guacamole made from ripe avocados is full of essential fats, vitamin E and links have been made to them preventing heart disease, lowering cholestrol, inhibit prostrate and oral cancer and benefits eye health.
In relation to the wraps you choose be careful - alot of the varieties in the supermarket are loaded with sugar and salt. I have 2 recommendations - well 3, first choose a smaller size wrap (you do not need the big one). Second, try to get a tortilla (wrap) of the wholemeal variety and finally something like the weightwatcher or Tesco healthy living ones are a good choice.
PS - I am so sorry, so sorry for the quality of the photo - my photography skills leave alot to be desired and this time i was just starving to add insult to injury.
Serves 2 ( 1 fajita each)
300g turkey mince
150g chicken breast
1/2 packet fajita seasoning mix
1/3 red, green and yellow pepper
1 cloves garlic
1/2 chilli or 2 pieces jalapeno pepper
2 tbsp natural yogurt
2 tbsp low fat grated cheddar
1 whole avocado
3 tsp extra light mayo
squeeze lemon juice
2 tortilla wraps
- Prepare all the ingredients. Deseed and thinly slice the peppers.
- Prepare the tomato sauce - in a food processor blitz 3 tomatoes, 2 spring onion, 1 clove of garlic, 2 tsp tomato puree and 1/2 chilli ( 2 piece jalapeno). Set aside.
- Make the guacamole - peel, remove the stone, mash. Stir in the extra light mayo, seasoning and lemon juice.
- Heat a non stick pan.Spritz with spray oil. Brown the turkey mince, add in 1/2 packet os fajita seasoning and stir in the tomato salsa. Cook for about 10 mins.
- Warm the tortilla wrap for 30secs in the microwave. Spread the guacamole on the base of wrap, top with low fat natural yoghurt, turkey mince and grated cheese.
- Wrap up and enjoy.